Thursday, November 4, 2010

Your career as an auto transport driver

First decide if this is the career for you. As an auto transporter, you will need to transport a variety of automobiles, military vehicles for your employer or clients. Auto shippers are typically paid $25,000 and upward per year, which equates to $350 to $450 per car transported, $150 for RV transport and $2,100 per month for military transports. In some instances, you may also be reimbursed for expenses (including room and board). As a auto shipper, you'll be expected to travel excessively and be extremely flexible, responsible and organized.

Secondly, ensure you have the right background. Most companies prefer that car transporters have the minimum requirement of high school diploma or GED, though its not the major criteria. You must hold a good driving record, have specialized training, and pass a drug and alcohol exam. You should not have a criminal record. Some states require that you have 20/40 vision with or without glasses or contacts.

Join a certified truck driving school in your state. There are many truck driving schools that will help you get your CDL, or commercial driver's license. When choosing school, evaluate prospects carefully. Ask about training course costs, available course schedules and job placement rates. In addition, any program you choose should be trustworthy and established in the field. In addition, they should provide you with auto shipping driving instructions and should pair you with a skilled and experienced car transporter that can teach you the ropes.

Study and pass the test. Study for and pass the FMCSR (Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulation) exam. Car transporter must pass a written, physical, hearing and vision exam.


Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Design Blog, Make Online Money